Gold Bond® Gypsum Sheathing
Gold Bond® BRAND Gypsum Sheathing is a water-resistant panel product designed for attachment to the outside of side-wall framing as a water-resistant underlayment for various exterior siding materials. The sheathing is manufactured with a moisture-resistant core faced with 100% recycled water-repellent paper on both face and back surfaces and on both long edges. Fire-Shield® (Type X) Sheathing has special additives in the core to enhance its fire-resistive properties.
Gypsum Sheathing is designed for attachment to the outside of exterior wall framing as a water-resistant underlayment for various siding materials. Gypsum Sheathing can be used as a sheathing for wood framed residential construction to provide fire resistance, weather protection and to add to structural strength when used under exterior finishes such as vinyl siding, clapboard, paneling, masonry veneer, stucco and shingles.
It can also serve as a sheathing for steel-stud commercial construction and as a component in curtainwall systems and exterior insulation systems and finishes.
Gypsum Sheathing can also be used as a sheathing for use in fire-rated exterior wall assemblies. Manufactured with square edges, Gypsum Sheathing requires no tape or compound in the joints of fire-rated wall construction.
- Low material and application costs.
- The noncombustible gypsum core of the sheathing protects framing elements even when the siding or finish material is combustible.
- Gypsum Sheathing’s moisture-resistant core and water-repellent
surfaces provide a barrier that resists passage of wind and water.
- Gypsum Sheathing can be scored and snapped to exact size without cutting or sawing.
- Many building codes allow the use of 4' wide panels of 1/2" Gypsum Sheathing applied vertically to be used in place of 1" by 4" wood let-in bracing, provided the shear values for Gypsum Sheathing listed in the code meet the requirements for the local wind and seismic design loads.